Sunday, 18 July 2010

Mother Hares

Sometimes I have struggled with new designs for months, even years, with nothing satisfactory or productive coming my way. Only the desire to make a certain design materialize.
Then out of the blue a new design will just appear, ever so simply and with no fuss and no planning.

That happened yesterday, like a miracle!
A mother hare appeared on the tracing paper, her shape came intuitively and easily to my pen and I was immediately satisfied with her.

Mother Hare Freya is my first mama hare. Like a real hare she is beautiful and sleek and has an ethereal ambience about her.

And I was also lucky to have mother hare Gold came along. Gold is going to be my hare. I have a few hares about the house. 4 actually, all babies, so it's nice to have a mama to reassure them when the wind is blowing against the panes, or the rain is pouring down in rivers that everything will be alright.

The mothers all have their ears back and their chins raised slightly. Hares will adopt this pose when investigating something familiar. But if they are annoyed and are about to attack then will have a slightly similar pose, so my mamas are both enquiring and defensive.

Mother Hare Freya already has a home. She is going to live her son Baby Hare Blue. Blue came into the world not that long ago and he quickly found his forever home and mama had a few odds and ends to tie up over here before going after him.

Freya is a very good mother hare and when little Blue came into the world she knew that he was a very special baby, he had the biggest blue eyes she had ever seen!
Almost immediately the insects who had little niggles would stop by him and after spending a short while in his company, and receiving a small lick, they would then be much better with their ailments. Word got around the insect community and spread to the insectivores and the omnivores that there was a new baby hare that brought calmness and healing.
This did not go past Freya and every day she brought Blue with her to work at the Woodland Rescue and Rehabilitation Centre for All Species where everybody commented that he was a natural like his mother. Freya was born with this gift and she treated mainly the carnivores as she had very little fear of anyone.
On many occasions she would do den visits, especially to wolf, bear and stoat and not once was she ever nipped nor glared at. Her speciality was removing thorns and stitching lacerations. Most days she came home with dried wolf blood on a paw! My, my!

Freya is overjoyed that she will be living with her baby Blue and she will love to spend time on soft quilts and furnishings as she plans her next den visits. She will be away often as she attends to the injured and would appreciate a door ajar and a packed lunch for herself and Blue.


I was viewing an exhibition the other day held at the Scottish Ornithological Society in Aberlady. There were three impressive wildlife artists , Robert Greenhalf, David Koster and my favourite, Andrew Haslen, who had a variety of print mediums on display. It was all so riveting, I love woodcuts and linocuts and I spent over an hour there absorbing the works.

The SOC also has a big viewing window in it's gallery area looking over to Aberlady Bay Nature Reserve, a famous and important bird destination in the East of Scotland. It faces over a large man made pond and I spent a good 10 minutes watching a yellow wagtail busy itself on the edge of the waterfall rocks.
The wagtail then just diappeared! and who should magically appear thru the tall grasses at the pond's edge but a slim russet and fawn hare!
I think the hare may have been a female for she was incredibly beautiful. She took in the air at the edge for a few minutes, then moved not far away thru the grasses and took in some more air after which she proceeded to calmly lop away.

A great privilege I do believe! and the perfect end to a gallery viewing of painted hares to a real one!

12 comments:

  1. Hares and rabbits are so expressive with their ears, just a subtle tilt or swivel conveys so much emotion. I think you have captured her pose perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you Tamsin. You are so right about their ears and they can change temperment in an instant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Mamma hares are just as beautiful as their babies, Annette! & I agree, Aberlady beach is a beautiful place to wildlife spot - that's one we save for the (rare) occasions we go out without the dogs ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea for the mamma hares! They are very well designed - you know, not knowing anything about hares, when I saw their poses, it seemed to me they were holding still after hearing a sound...sniffing to see what it was.
    Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Meghann and Tasmin there, so expressive and life like. But with just the right amount of artistic whimsy. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. these are beautiful hares. Congratulations on seeing a yellow wagtail at Aberlady, but there goes my theory that you can't see yellow wagtails anywhere near Edinburgh. So beginner birdwatchers could be confused between grey and yellow wagtails round here....

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you Jane, I like to go on the walk by the golf course, usually at dusk and I see owls hunting

    now that I look at Gold Meghann I can see that you are right! thank you!

    thanks Roisin, what a lovely way to sum up!

    aah Juliet - now you have me double checking! next time I go back there I shall be looking for the green or grey back! I checked out the RSPB website for pics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful blog - so well written! And your pics are great ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you Suzanne, glad you enjoyed your visit

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful girl you have created here. You can feel her energy in her pose.

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank you Karen! that's a lovely insight and I feel spot on :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful mamma hares, I always so enjoy visiting your blog, I have to go and make tea, but will pop back so I can finish my read. Linda:)

    ReplyDelete

thanks for leaving your lovely comment and taking the time to read my post, appreciated