Wednesday, 4 August 2010

foX marks the spot

I love to read and have rather a large pile of books waiting to be read and a smaller pile of books currently being read.
And ofcourse a book being read must be accompanied by a bookmark.

Not only do I love a good read but it must be accompanied by a bookmark that pleases me. There was a day when I used to make do with a shred of napkin or torn envelope to mark my page, and at times the bottom corner of pages were folded over. In very rare circumstances would I fold the top corner, and only if my bookmarks were all busy elsewhere.

So when I purchased my friendly red fox book keeper from Alison at her etsy shop Wooly Zeke's Boutique I was delighted to get him working straight away!

My fox marker doesn't mind my taste in books and he rather likes spending time on certain pages. Even the next night when the same page is read again because I fell asleep the night before reading it, he doesn't make a sound.
He is happy to lie there between the pages with his head at the top and wait for the progression of new pages to be added to his bed.

I like exciting books that educate and entertain so my favourite authors are Amelia Kinkade, John Le Carre, Douglas Reeman, Hammond Innes, Desmond Bagely and Alistair MacLean. My favourite novels are usually war time / cold war thrillers.

Fox has been spending time lately in Amelia Kinkade's second book The Language of Miracles. Ofcourse Amelia is not a thriller writer, but her books are riveting and as eye opening as any book you will ever read. She will literally change your world by changing your way of thinking.

I met Amelia a few years ago when I attended one of her workshops on animal communication. I had read her first book Straight from the Horses Mouth and I was stunned about what I had learnt, and so very happy to have learnt it.

If you haven't read her books before then start with this one. It will really open your eyes and your heart to this world we live in and share with those beings who do not speak English or Spanish or Russian but who speak from their hearts.

Her second book is equally amazing and I hope that one day every person will read them as part of their education in life and living.

Fox is rather happy that my progression is slow at times as he's glad of the long naps between page turns! I am a rather slow reader and like to mull over the words, sentences and colloquialisms used.
There really is a big difference between the writers of the early decades and the younger generations. I've come across words I've never heard of before (in English!) and wonderfully fascinating sayings and nuances.

Fox is not the only spot keeper though. I am lucky to have Esme hard at work too. Usually I have about three books that I read at any one time and depending on my mood, they get finished at different times.

Is it tardy of me to say that I took a whole year to read the very last paragraph of a book? I finished it just the other day and the book can now be returned to it's rightful owner. I had to wipe the dust off the jacket!


I'm not terribly fussy where my books come from. 99% of the time they are second hand and cost pennies.
I give the covers a good wash when I get them home and they join my growing pile of 'to read's.

I collect this John Le Carre book and have three with the same bee cover. Though I have not read the pages of all three! (merely the pages of only half of one!) though I did watch the film with Ralph Fiennes and Rachel Weisz of the same name. Films can never compare to books. Not Le Carre's anyway.

When I am in the right mood I shall finish the book. Though it has been a couple of years already, but I'm not counting.

Esme is a delightful reading companion, like fox, and she loves my taste in books too! She is from Pey's etsy shop Peylu.

A cherished bookmark will take you happily thru many good stories!

My constant reading companion over the decades has always been John Le Carre. I have never read better than him.

I hope that my very short stories that accompany all my mother hares and baby hares and other soft sculptures make for an enjoyable read, though being so short there is no need for a bookmark, but I would definitely be using one any way!


9 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the book recommendations (I have never read any John LeCarre, believe it or not - and the Amelia Kinkade book sounds very good). And both the bookmarks are very nice - the fox one is so well made, and Esme is gorgeous.

    I have a large collection of bookmarks that I find in used books - sometimes they are actual bookmarks but usually they are old boarding passes, ticket stubs, appointment cards, etc. Some of them are interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annette, your post is always a good read !

    I do have a collection of bookmarks but I think they hide whenever they see me going through a book and only to reappear later nonchalantly everywhere !! Must have a word with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the reading list suggestions! I would love to attend a conference on animal communication!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie I am sure the Amelia Kinkade book will change your outlook. Once my mum found a letter inside a book!

    thanks Pey! I hope you are using Esme :)

    thank you Nicole

    Lisa good news - Amelia has a workshop in NY city on the 2-3 October
    http://www.ameliakinkade.com/schedule/n/71
    I paid a tidy sum for my 1 day workshop, but it's paid back so much! and the money goes to one of her animal charities.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Books are food for me. I cant be without them. I buy them at the thrift stores, yard sales and get them at the library. Only on occasion do I buy a new one and thats if I am waiting on the next in a series.
    Kisses to your bunnies

    ReplyDelete
  6. i too am a lover of books although i have been listening to more audiobooks over the last couple years. i often have both going at the same time (not literally). Annette, i do so love your stories & wait for the day i will hold a signed copy of your book in my hand & a bookmark as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm one of those who use anything within reach, a scrap of paper, pens, a rubber band.. now my books are begging for a pretty bookmark such as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have so many books for reference, that even just browsing thru them is highly satisfying! I too, can't be without books, thanks Christina!

    Pat that would be such an honour! I am working on it, just taking some time and I shall forward a copy straight to you :)

    furry - we share the same problem! (or shared :) - do visit Pey's shop, her painting of Esme is beautiful and makes the cutest bookmark ever and how could I ever be without my red fox from Alison? - she's on etsy too!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for leaving your lovely comment and taking the time to read my post, appreciated