Friday, 21 August 2009

Annette's Hare / Durer's Hare

Arabella is always ever so elegant ~

that I was immediately reminded of the famous watercolour by Albrecht Durer - The Hare -

His home town Nuremberg celebrated 500 years of hare ness, a few years ago - with .. er ... 500? hare sculptures by German artist Ottmar Horl. The hares then dispersed to their various forever homes after the birthday party.

Though some can still be purchased direct from the artist for Euro40 unsigned and Euro120 signed.

As you can see there are lots and lots of green hares - and no grass - could it be osmosis?

I have borrowed these last 2 pics from the webblog of puzzle*designtalk - hope that's okay? we must both be hare lovers!

Arabella said to me that we have no more room to add another hare - the house is full.

She is right ofcourse - and nothing can compare to my graceful Arabella hare!

14 comments:

  1. Wow! The photos of the green hares are impressive. Love all the different shades. Arabella is so sweet! I've got a few wild ones that like to eat the bird seed that I put out in the backyard. We share breakfast together. It is a perfect way to start the day:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She does look just like the Durer hare, OK, her ears are a bit shorter, but quite like. It has some interesting history behind it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Cat - and what a lovely way to start the day!

    When I saw Arabella with both her dainty paws extended I grabbed my camera, by camera-shy Arabella took one foot in very fast Diana!
    The history is interesting yes, and Albrecht was into printing his images to make more money faster!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And he had his mom and wife sell them door to door and at fairs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Arabella looks so CUTE :)))
    Lovely shots also from the green bunny's,
    I love it its ART :)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. fascinating Diana! maybe one of the first true artist entrepreneurs?

    thank you Anya!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, I love Durer and absolutely, the resemblance is uncanny , perhaps just a bit more ears...... Arabella is so regal !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought so too Pey - it was a mirror image moment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Actually yes, he worked on popularizing himself with the common people by selling them art they could afford, until then images were only the privelege of the rich and the church.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Arabella is beautiful and so is the painting ~ thanks for sharing, actually you, your shop and blog has got me very interested in rabbits!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, just leaving you a comment as I've so enjoyed looking around your site and reading your lovely posts. Great pictures too !

    Thank so much for sharing them and I hope you have a fab weekend (well, the rest of it anyway...)!

    Best wishes to you

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful vision, a sea of green hares!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful Arabella.
    I love the green hares, fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. thank you Lily, I have passed your comment on to Arabella!

    thanks Elise, thank you for taking the time to let me know,

    I agree Laura - I think it looks wonderful. If I had been there I would be drooling!

    thanks Kim!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for leaving your lovely comment and taking the time to read my post, appreciated