Saturday, 24 December 2011

happy xmas and all that jazz .....

and for one small hare it is also 'Happy Birthday'!

Please meet baby hare Christmas.

Little Christmas came into the world against his mama’s will. She tried in vain to get him out the week before xmas, but on xmas eve the youngster was kicking and moving and she knew that he would be in the world within hours.
And a little while later in the late evening’s moonlight the baby was born, strong and healthy and hungry.
Thank goodness! because as all hare mama’s know, a hungry and demanding baby makes for a fit leveret.
Word got around the glade that a very special xmas baby had been born and soon he was being greeted by the other mama’s, who came with gifts, as is the hare tradition.
One brought an abundance of love, another gave happiness, then there was the gift of compassion and that of speed, and one of patience, and the last mama of all gave the gift of humour, because being born on xmas day and not having any other presents for a whole 364 days was a bit hard to endure by anyone, let alone a tiny hare.
Christmas’s mama thanked them all kindly and then dried off his forehead which was now rather wet with all the kisses he had received. He looked up at mama and smiled and she gave him a warm hug and said to him that presents were really over-rated anyway and he should never worry about material things because attributes and emotions are so much more valuable, and after half a day they never lose their novelty!
Well, when Christmas went visiting his friends and saw all their xmas presents he wasn’t so sure what mama really meant, because he had had so much fun playing with all the toys and he had been there for nearly the whole day.
Then as was leaving a few of the other babies laughed at him and with big smirks on their faces commented that they would be getting the same amount of presents again in a few months time on their birthdays, unlike him.
Christmas wasn’t too happy when he heard that and sulked all the way home. He decided that from now on he would have a birthday every day and a present a day too.
Then he had a little think and wondered if mama would have enough wrapping paper for all his many presents, and then he wondered where he would put them all because his room was rather small and he didn’t have too much spare space. And after a really hard think he decided that he only really wanted just a few special toys, not 365 of them, because that would be too many to play with.
So before he told mama about his new plan he decided to change his mind and just make do with one huge amount of presents once a year after all.
And because he was given a sense of humour he didn’t even mind if he got less presents than any of the other babies, because appreciating a single gift was much more important than gloating over a huge pile of them.
He could always go and play with their toys he thought. Yes, that sounded good to him and he smiled a little smile to himself.

Christmas is looking forward to snoozing warmly on your armchair. He would like the window open a little please as mama will be coming by every day to see him and he will be going out to play with his friends. Well, er, his friends’ toys, let’s get the facts straight there!
And he may even bring back a few toys every now and again, especially the ones that they get bored with after half a day of playing because they have too many toys already, and what with a birthday a few months after xmas and a new batch of toys, it means that there will always be boring toys at the bottom of the toy box that have lost their novelty.
Christmas has a small collection of interesting toys that have the label ‘boring’ on them, and wants you to know that he isn’t bored by them in the slightest, because after a year of playing they merely become worn out, not boring.
Infact he would be grateful to have a rummage in the bottom of your toy box to see what you label as boring.
You never know, you could be the same as his friends – always wanting bigger and better and faster and newer ….. My, my, he will be a lucky hare this xmas!


A few times a week I write posts for my etsy team's blog In The Making and tonight I wrote about little Christmas.
Infact tonight that little hare was named and storied just for that post! what with it being xmas and all that!
(is 'storied' a verb? it is now!)

If you'd like to see some beautiful shopping ideas by talented artists out there then stop by In The Making blog any time.
Charlie and Sybil, Pey's two rescue rabbits, wish everyone an xoxo holiday time from In The Making team!

every year I can count the xmas cards I get on one hand!
but in the last 2 years I have had to use two hands! infact two hands and some of the toes from one foot this year!

and I must say, that has been terribly exciting because that's even counting the card I get from my vet's every year and the religious one that comes thru the letter box. And I won't mention that I used to take out old cards from previous years and display them again just because I liked the pictures. I, em, put a stop to that!

But - I do love snail mail! especially xmas time.
I got this beautiful handmade card by Juliet, of Crafty Green Poet, in the mail this week. Juliet chose a gorgeous white hare in the snow and added some embossed foil and I just love it totally!
Thank you Juliet! this one is a keeper :)

and also in the mail this week came a beautiful surprise from my friend Shell, of the Raspberry Rabbits.
A delicate rabbit ornament in memory of my precious Arabella. I shed some tears as I placed the bun on my xmas tree.

Wesley and I have been missing her, and the other night I called my little mister Arabella! *sigh*

Shell has lost precious rabbits too and this year her darling Sugie left for the heavens.
She sent me this gorgeous handmade card of a brown rabbit in the snow and with comforting words inside.
Thank you Shell, you have touched my heart :)

Wes also got a present, from Shell's two rescue rabbits, Harrington and his lady Hannah GoldenHare. They gave him a bag of dried bananas. Wesley has never had dried bananas before and he is taking a little while to get the taste of them. But he says thank you Hannah and Harrington!

A couple of weeks ago he got a small infestation of fur friends (some may call them mites or what not...) but we prefer not to name names, so out came the matted and loose fur and on went some herb cooling gel and drops of Kyolic Garlic to work it's magic.
Well, I checked his fur a couple of days later and the invaders had all but disappeared, so now we are waiting for the new fur to come thru and the garlic to dissipate.

yeah! yeah! smelling like a vampire's nightmare! just get me some dried carrots and what's all this about xmas day? every day here is xmas day here as far as I'm concerned!

(As you can see he is still deciding about the bananas!
and as for his early xmas present of 3 bags of dried carrots from the other week - well, er, they are all but eaten!
but shhh! don't tell Wes :)

have a great Christmas! travel safely, eat well and drink in moderation (if there is ice on your paths :)

9 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday baby Hare and welcome to the world!

    Blogging friends are so much fun. I think I am going to send out cards next year. I never really did before but seeing how much they are enjoyed I believe I will I start. I always figured nobody enjoyed getting them as much as I did so why bother.....hmmmmm

    Kisses to Wesley and yes we know about calling the buns by a passed loved ones name. We do it all the time.

    Happy Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little Christmas is smart and gorgeous! Love his story.

    Many wonderful Christmas cards and gifts. It's truly amazing how wonderful blog friends are.

    Nose rubs to dear Wesley. Mites are no fun at all! I'm so glad he's feeling better. And the bunnies here say they'll be happy to vouch for those dried nanas :)

    The merriest of Christmas to you and Wesley. Hope your holiday is wonderful. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Little hare Christmas is adorable (as is his story). I can completely relate, as my birthday often gets lost in the holiday shuffle since it is very close to Thanksgiving and all that Black Friday nonsense. This is why I generally make a huge fuss about my birthday and tend to make it last all the way through Christmas by buying myself stuff. :)

    Merriest of Christmases and Happiest of New Year's to you and Wesley from me and Mr. Mick, who says dried bananas are the bestest things on earth and that Wesley should give them a chance...although he also says he'd be happy to take them off of Wesley's paws if he really doesn't want them(don't listen to him, Wes, he's a greedy bunneh--you eat those nanas yourself!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hee hee, the garlic/vampire warding off comment reminded me of a children's book, I can just about remember about a rabbit called bunnicular who used to suck the 'blood' (ahem juice) from vegetables...!did I imagine that? Off to google I go x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Baby Hare Christmas! Hope Wesley is feeling all better now and I hope you both had a wonderful Christmas. Looks like it, with such nice cards and gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you had a lovely Christmas Annette, & Wesley too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A delayed merry christmas! Hope Wesley is over his mites! Just as a tip, our vet recommended freezing our hay before giving it to out guinea pigs (this kills any hay mites - i assume hay mites for gps & rabbits are the same). We have been doing this for about 3 years with no more issues (touch wood!). Although if anyone looks in our freezer they generally ask why we have a plastic tub full of hay in there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes thanks and the hay idea is a good one! I wil try that!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for leaving your lovely comment and taking the time to read my post, appreciated